Sunday, November 29, 2009

But that's sooo unfair...

On Thanksgiving I came home to an almost empty very cold house. Q was at his dad's house in Idaho, D was at a big poker tourney ( he lost, but respectably) and there was no blazing fire in Big Flamey (which is what I would call my wood stove if I were going to give it a name). There was however one cranky brother laying on the couch watching Hostel 2. I really can't do scary movies at all, so I retreated into my bedroom where I was able to enjoy my new "sitting room" area for the first time. I lit the candles on the mantle snuggled up with a blanky and watched 2 hours of Iron Chef. It was actually one of the nicest evening I think I've had in the house.

But then I was watching this show and looking at these people who eat so much food all the time and thinking about the people I know in my own life who can eat absolutely anything they want anytime they want and not gain anything, even without exercising. Sooo unfair! However, I started thinking a little deeper about the advantages I have. I don't drink soda, or alcohol (occasionally, but not enough to really impact my diet), I'm a good cook and able to make lots of healthy adaptations without much research, I love fruits and veggies and lots of other "healthy hippie food", and I have a lot of access to fresh "real" foods. So, from a relative point of view, that might be unfair to others. Oh contentment, you are an elusive and demanding mistress...

No comments:

Post a Comment